Friday, April 6, 2012

This one is about pain

Pain. I hate it. I can usually ignore it, but this chronic thing has me beat.

I'm 20 weeks post-op, and it's been 8 weeks since my last surgery. Since then, I've regularly taken vicodin. Sometimes I took it a little bit more freely than I probably should have. I stopped last week to see if it was completely necessary for pain or if I was taking it just because I felt really, really good with it. I had a very rough week with pain and ended up just plain miserable. I reached out to my doctor, who agrees that I need to get off the vicodin and recommended ultram (tramadol) instead. I've taken tramadol before when I sprained my ankle 3 1/2 weeks before my first surgery. It got me through my day. Now I'm once again dependent on medication to get me through. I really don't like that. My doctor said the pain was from removing the hardware early before the bones fused completely and also from having the chronic wound (3 months of an open wound, two months of which were open to the bone, 3 cm (1.2 inches) deep).

I really can't wait for this to be over. But of course when it is, it will be time to operate on the other foot, and hope for better results. All we can do is hope.

PS I can hardly walk not just because of my ankle, but also because my quads are so sore. That TRX workout really did me in!

No comments:

Post a Comment